Initially, Soil Conservation Districts were only authorized on cropland. In 1945 the law was amended to include other lands. There are now 32 Conservation Districts established under State Statutes (ARS Title 37, Chapter 6)
In 1944, the Arizona Association of Conservation Districts was organized to assist in Arizona’s overall soil and water conservation program. Shortly after, the National Association of Conservation Districts was established in 1946. They support approximately 3000 Conservation Districts that are currently operating all 50 States and U.S Territories.
During the1970s the Soil Conservation Districts organized under State law were renamed as Natural Resource Conservation Districts, and state funds for Districts were authorized for the first time.
In 1980 the Navajo Tribal Council adopted an enabling act to allow the formation of 5 Soil and Water Conservation Districts. In 1986 The Tohono O’odham Tribal Council adopted their ordinance establishing their Soil and Water Conservation District. There are now 10 Conservation Districts in Arizona authorized under Tribal law.